Program Name: IAble
Program Manager: Ascensus
Program Investment Institution: BlackRock, Schwab, and Vanguard
Program Website: IAble
Total Annual Contribution Limit: $14,000
Account Limit: $320,000
State Tax Deduction: Section 78 allows a tax deduction per beneficiary per tax filer for contributions. The deduction is the same as the deduction allowed for contributions to 529 accounts.In 2016 that amount, which is adjusted annually for inflation, is $3,188.
Additional Information: ABLE was added to a Health and Human Services Appropriations Bill (Sec. 76, p. 74)
ABLE Legislation: SF 505
Program at a Glance
- What is the total annual contribution limit? $14,000
- Does this program offer enrollment to out of state residents? Yes.
- Is there a state income tax deduction or credit for contributions made into accounts opened in this state by state residents? If so, how much? Yes. $3,239 of contributions per Account Owner are deductible for Iowa individual income tax purposes.
- Who is the program administrator? Treasurer of State of Iowa as Trustee of the Iowa ABLE Savings Plan Trust
- Is there an initial minimum contribution requirement to open an ABLE account? If so, how much? Yes. $25
- Is there an annual set fee to maintain the account? If so, how much? Yes. The current account maintenance fee is $45 annually payable at $11.25 quarterly. With paper statements, the annual fee is $60, payable at $15 quarterly.
- Is there a required minimum contribution to your account? If so, what is the amount? No.
- Are there fees or restrictions to the number of disbursement you are allowed? If so, what are they? No.
- Can I roll over my ABLE account to another ABLE program? If so, what is the fee to do so? Yes. There are currently no fees associated with rolling over your ABLE account from one ABLE program to another ABLE program.
- Is there a “debit card/purchasing card” available with the program? If so, what is the added cost? No.
- Who is the investment manager? BlackRock, Schwab, Vanguard, and for high-yield savings Sallie Mae
- How many investment options are associated with the program? There are six investment options available.
- Do those investment options vary in risk? Yes, these investment options range from conservative to aggressive with varying levels of risk based on their underlying investment components.
- Is there a fee associated with the investment choices? If so, how much? Yes. Depending on the investment choices, the total fees range from 0.34% to 0.38%.